Don't be discouraged from reading this post simply because of the title. Though I am going to talk about my own personal dichotomy, I only used that word to make me sound smart! My problem is this: I have a loving husband, wonderful children, a good home, and nice things- for those of you who don't see the problem, here it is- Why do I feel that I have to belittle those things around certain people? It is as if, in order to relate to someone, I have to be in the same situation as they are. It makes no sense! We can be friends if you are single, and I shouldn't automatically dumb down the "mommy" side of my life simply to carry on a conversation. Here's my disclaimer: I am not talking about anyone in particular, so if this sounds like you, ignore it. This is my issue, and not yours. This problem carries into other areas, as well. I am a stay at home mom. I am not cool, hip, fashionable, whatever. And I'm ok with that! If I wasn't, I would change it. I love my life- I am perfectly happy 80% of the time, and only slightly less happy the other 20%. I thrive in stressful situations, which are few and far between (these days), and can always find fun and productive ways to occupy my time. I am also fairly strong i n my faith. I go to church, try to live the gospel, and teach my children the importance of those things as well. I am not perfect, however, as manifest by the fact that I pretend those things don't mean as much to me when I get around others who feel that way as well. So I guess my dichotomy is this: I strive to do and be good, except when I don't.
My goal this year is to be more "me." That means possibly disagreeing with other people (yikes!) when it comes to church and family matters. It sounds simple, but in practice can be very difficult. Wish me luck!